Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Monday, June 4, 2012

Blessed in Holland

I have often asked myself: "Who am I, that I should be so blessed?" and lately that has been running through my head again.  My Dad is known to respond to times with "Wow, God loves ME!" and that's how I feel right now.  There are a few reasons why I decided to go back to Ontario for the month of June, and since my ticket home provided an extended layover in Holland, I decided it was best to stop there for a few days.
Before even leaving Uganda though, I started seeing God move in amazing ways.  The week before I left was emotionally tough for me, and the local shop keeper that I have been walking alongside of - for pricing, inventory, and shop appeal, found a way to be a blessing to me.  On the morning of my departure he picked me up from my house and arranged for all of my baggage to get on the PostBus.  Then in Kampala he had a friend pick me up downtown and drive me all the way out to the airport.  Wow, such great service!  All I could say was: "God is GOOD!"
Then after a smooth flight to the Netherlands, a taxi was provided for me there from the family I went to visit.  It's hard to believe it's been 12 years since I was a nanny in Holland.  My little boys are now 15, 17, and 19... but man did we have a great time hanging out.
 I'm glad I stopped in Holland - it was a peaceful place to unwind from the ministry in Uganda and to prepare for the surprise of going home.  I spent a lot of time just hanging out with my host family, but I also took the bus into Den Haag to explore the city and to visit other friends.  I am always amazed at the number of bikes parked at the central station. 
Culture shock started to appear - how neat and organized everything appeared to be, how silent the buses were, the delicious breads and cheeses, the drivers were back on the left side of the car and driving was on the right side of the road, and so much more.
 Dutch royalty - a site to behold!
This is one of my favourite Dutch scenes... taken from the end of the driveway - The walking bath, bike path, and then the narrow roads.  I spent some cool afternoons biking around quaint Wassenaar and walking the Australian shepherd in the park by a castle.  I love Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment