Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Taxi Driver to Kampala

This morning I woke up to a phone call from Tanya, asking me to join her and Steve on a journey to Kampala.  These people are my team-mates, but Steve is also my Wingman!!  He is my big brother, my go-to man, my sounding board... and he's been sick for 9 days already.  Fighting fevers, achy joints and now a body rash, the team decided it was best for Steve to see a doctor in Kampala.  Tanya wasn't sure she could drive in Kampala and she was stressed about Steve, and she would need to look after their baby girl, so I packed my bags and decided to help out!!
 Here are my passengers - all sound asleep in the back of the van.  We left Soroti at 11:30 am and pulled into Kampala at 6:30 pm.  I drove straight to "The Surgery" (a clinic here) and looked after the baby while Steve and Tanya promptly met with the one doctor we could trust.  Within 45 minutes there was a diagnosis (we hope and pray)... It looks like Steve has Tick Typhus... meaning a small tick has given him this huge body infection.  He is now on medication, but the doctor has asked us to stay in Kampala until Friday, just to make sure that the diagnosis was correct and that Steve is feeling better.
 I take my job as cab driver / ambulance attendant :) very seriously!!  I had to dodge big trucks, potholes, baboons, and motorcycles on the road.  Thankfully it was an uneventful trip to Kampala so far and tomorrow I hope to buy an OVEN!!
By the way... this was my first time ever driving in Kampala!  No probs!

2 comments:

  1. Karebear, some of the comments you make crack me up:) Glad you had a safe trip and hope that Steve feels better very soon!!

    Becky (Rachel's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a brave person! I never worked up the nerve to drive there, although I wish I had just to say I did! I remember the first time I heard one of the babies was going to 'The Surgery', I was shocked when they were back in a couple hours, as after all, the baby had just had surgery for goodness sake! I quickly learned it's true purpose. Praying Steve has a swift recovery.

    ReplyDelete