Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, August 9, 2012

From Trainings to the Temple

Tuesday afternoon I nervously headed out on rainy roads to join fida in Obalanga.  I arrived at supper time - we found some tiny eatery that prepares meat, rice, and chapati and then we spent the rest of the evening playing cards.  It was a nice getaway for me before heading out early the next morning for VSLA trainings.
VSLA - Village Savings & Loans Associations... I have been walking along side of fida as they do these trainings - for insight and encouragement.  In those same villages, we also delivered the news of the sports day coming up next week and how it's going to be a big day of competition and presentations.  The former LRA youth are excited.
Here is the view as we struggled to take one road from Omoro to Abim in the rain.
We followed a lory for some time, the road was turning into a river.
After almost an hour we came to a complete stop.  A military truck was stuck in the road and they told us that we shouldn't go past them since the road was even worse behind them.  Charles went out to test the road in his bare feet and decided he wasn't going to venture any further on that road.  After turning around, we made a 2 hour loop and ended up in Abim much later than we had planned.
Thursday afternoon we drove home again... the roads were muddy in the north, but when we got back to my car in Obalanga their were only big bumps.  I drove back to Soroti with no issues... just a very dirty car.
I hired a few neighbour kids for a coin - they washed my car with excitement and pride.  While the kids were busy scrubbing, my friends from the temple came over.  The priest, in very broken English was inviting me to the Hindu temple that night for a one year old's birthday party.  As tired as I was from all the travel, I changed into my Punjabi suit and went to celebrate.
 The family was lighting the cake, and each visitor that brought the little boy a gift also fed him a piece of cake... I think he was sick of it by the end of the night, but so cute to watch!
 "Happy Birthday to You!" - pop... the streamers blasted into the air and decorated all the celebrants.
 Noor and I at the party.  He is now like my little brother here... we were even watching kick boxing from the Olympics before we headed to the party and occasionally we would practice on each other.  :)  He is such a good kid.
Mama Coolwant and Raji are showing off the menu for the evening.  Wow, it was the best food I have eaten yet in Uganda.  Spicy, creamy, diverse, and delicious.  Thankfully I was home by 10 pm so I could crash in my own bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment