Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Team Time

     Lacking a laptop at the moment, I'm simply going to have to use words to tell you about my life.  Without a laptop, I can't upload pictures, send newsletters, watch videos, or keep up with my NGO documents, but thankfully I have a tiny netbook to help me get by. 
     I want to say how grateful I am for my team that I serve with here in Soroti.  They are wonderful people and they truly support me and encourage me.  I have often struggled with there being so many mzungus in Soroti, but at the same time I wouldn't want it any other way.  We are all here to live out Christian lives in every area of ministry - whether evangelism, training church leaders, being in the school system, visiting the lost in the market, walking alongside the street boys, nursing, living out a heart for adoption, and so much more.  As much as I love being in Africa, I will forever me a westerner, so it's also nice to get together with my team, to share delicious meals, worship together, laugh, cry, and study God's Word.  Sometimes we help each other get through cultural frustrations and remind each other why the Lord has brought each one of us here.
     Two weeks ago, the Obule team (which is half of the Team Beyond members here in Soroti) had a three day retreat.  My friend Beckie and I were going to go with on the retreat to help with child care while the adults had their meetings.  Due to so much rain lately, we were unable to make it to Mbale, although not for a lack of trying - three vehicles went out one morning to see if we could find some way to cross Awoja river, but to no avail... so we returned to Soroti and planned a spiritual retreat from home.  Beckie and I had a blast looking after the kids in my home.  They came on Thursday from 9-5... for playing, worship, crafts, hiking, a meal, stories, and sack races.  On Friday morning we repeated the program with the children and finished off the retreat at a hotel with a buffet lunch for all.  The kids were refreshed and excited to have a fun program in our own city and the adults were grateful that they could be without their kids for at least 8 hours - so they could watch a video seres on prayer and spending time talking to God together.
     The day following the retreat I began looking after baby Kate.  She is a new addition to our team, in the process of being adopted by the Tiesenga's.  The Tiesenga's needed to leave the country to get their visa's renewed so I spent four days being a single mom while trying to keep up with ministry.  Wow, that is a lot of work.  Kate is a great baby - sleeps well, so happy, but I just want to say that I am proud of all those single parents out there who can really make it work!!  People ask me if I am ever going to adopt a baby from here... and I would love to, but there is absolutely no way that I am going to do that alone!!  So, all things will have to wait - in God's perfect timing.
     Ladies Bible study on Monday nights continues to be a huge blessing... we are studying "Experiencing God" by Henry Blackaby and it's so very good.  Waiting on God, hearing His voice, how to be a unified member in the body, and so much more.  I have come to realize even more that God is my Rock and Fortress through all things.  My Prince of Peace.
    Hopefully the motherboard and chipset will arrive soon from Kampala so that I can have my laptop back soon... then I can upload picks of both the retreat and the latest speaking assignment I had in Gulu town.  :) 
     On a note of praise, the NGO board in Kampala just accepted my application to get a work permit, so now my papers have been transferred to the Immigration office.  I'm praying that before Christmas I will have a three year work permit in my passport!!  I ask for your prayers in this too!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Karen
    If you have internet Adam can help you remotely from here. Here is my email and hopefully we can get you up and running.

    Julie julieanni@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete