Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, January 9, 2014

Youth Matters

Sitting at the registration desk, I listened and listed down names of 1005 Anglican youth and collected their fees for a 5 day youth conference.  It is a pleasure to work behind the scenes... just assisting the leaders of the church.  I slowly got to know more youth and loved being with the priests, bishops, reverends, and vicars once more.  Running a youth conference in Uganda is so different than back home.  Honestly, when money started to come in at the registration desk, leaders quickly went out to buy beans, cornmeal, and firewood to cook food for the first day.  If money is there, the conference continues... and it did!!  God provides in the coolest ways.
On the final day, I was asked to speak to the youth about purity.  A huge topic in a very sexually active era.  I spent much time in prayer and while standing on the platform, I felt God moving in me.  The huge crowd was very attentive as I shared many Scriptures, stories, and my personal testimony.  I don't think the youth have heard anyone ever say "I am 37 years old.  Very single.  Very Content.  And very virgin!"  Church leaders were grateful for speech I shared, and together we are praying for change. 
One more thing I'm excited about... one of the village reverends that I have worked with on a few occasions - a 17 Stories training, and another youth conference - is being relocated to Soroti town.  The diocese is requesting the transfer and he has been placed in a new ministry - To focus on children at the main cathedral.  This may not sound exciting, but for me it's awesome.  He is a wonderful man of God, and he has a passion for the children, and at the moment there is not much children's ministry happening with that church in town.  Already he has asked me what I'm doing in February, as he wants me to walk alongside of him and help set up a one year program for the children!!  Yeah Jesus!!
========================================================================
In the middle of the conference, I hopped on my bicycle and rode over to the Baptist church where I help 5 or 6 other leaders in running a Bible Club for kids.  Well, on Tuesday afternoon I show up the church only to have the kids hand me all the keys to the church and offices.  No other leaders are around and the kids are desperate for an afternoon Bible Club.  I sit in the office for a few minutes and pray for inspiration.  "Really Lord, I have to run this program alone?"  Soon, ideas begin to flow in my brain and I take close to 30 children outside to the open grass to play games for a long while, then we went back inside the church for singing and prayer.  I taught the children (all 12 and under) a few fun action songs.  Then finally two other leaders walked in.  They helped me to summarize their books about Heaven and God's gift of grace and we spent time memorizing Scriptures together.  I was glad the whole program worked out, but I would rather serve with a team any day than try to run it alone.
But I'm grateful for the Bible Club program, and today a friend is coming over to help me organize the graduation store for the club.  For the past year, whenever there is a school break, the children get together for games, singing, and Bible study, and they get points for memorizing Scripture, bringing a Bible, participating, doing their homework, etc.  So on January 18th we are having a closing program for the past year and it's going to be a fun event.  The kids will be able to buy clothes, school books and pens, toys, toothpaste & brushes, etc with their points.

No comments:

Post a Comment