Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, February 12, 2016

GPS - Global Prayer Safari - Kenya

This year I joined the GPS team in Kenya.  I really needed a time of spiritual refreshment and I felt like it would also strengthen the partnership with my CRWM East and South African partners.  And wow, I am being awakened in prayer.  For the past few days, testimonies - both good and hard bring tears to my eyes.  I feel like my prayer life has come alive.  I find myself praying through the newspaper, or prayer for the security guard as I leave a shop.  I pray that the courage and energy doesn't leave when I travel back to Uganda next week.)
I landed on Friday the 5th, about 6 hours before a big team arrived from North America, so I stuck around the airport and researched and wrote my sermon while I waited for the driver with the GPS sign.  I thank God that He has given me the gift of Wooing others, because within a half hour at the airport I had a sharply dressed police officer and a 5-star hotel salesman sitting with me.  We chatted about life, travel, and yes - prayer.  The salesman let me sit in the hotel's office at the airport.  I stored my bag there, used the computer, sat at the desk to write, and hung out with other friendly staff that work in the airport.  The six hours flew by and before I new it I was delivered to my hotel.
 It was midnight when we pulled in to the Tea Tot Hotel.  A beautiful place with good food... in the heart of Machakos.  Machakos was the start off location for the GPS.
 Saturday, close to 40 of us, prayed through the market place and participated in an open-air Kick off Ceremony.  I proudly waved the flag for Uganda!  Other countries represented were: Ethiopia, South Africa, Cambodia, Romania, Kenya, Canada, and the US.  A great time of international fellowship.  Together we have been praying for the world - global concerns, government, police, spiritual, physical.... personal and institutional.
 On Sunday we divided in to groups of two's and went with a local pastor to preach and pray at their church.  I had the pleasure of sharing God's Word - "Celebrating God in Prayer" - at Rev. Sammy's church.  His wife Dorcas was a delight to meet and after church they blessed us with lunch in a nice hotel grounds and then we went for a stroll in the park.
 Pam and I couldn't resist a camel ride around the People's Park of Machakos.
 Here is our tour bus - loud, old, and instrumental for most of our transport!
 We have prayed for police and their stations in many counties and towns.
 We have prayed in churches
 We have prayed for those who pass by and our curious about the team.
 We prayed on the side of the road while our bus had a flat tire and a brake fluid leak.
We have prayed in government office elevators where we were crammed for over a half hour - stuck!  God answers prayer in such delightful ways!
 We have prayed for schools in the slums and the villages.
 We have prayed for art centres that encourage children. And we have prayed in hospitals.  In the maternity ward I was able to hug a mother who just lost her new born baby, and not a single family member was with her there.  I was able to pray for patients who are struggling with mental illness and for the psychiatrist who treats them.
We have prayed in the market and shops, and sometimes we purchase a product or two that help open the door to conversation.  This is thorn melon... looks a little bit that a passion fruit inside.  Not overly sweet, but I did find it refreshing.
This whole trip has been incredibly refreshing.  In a few hours I am going to wave the flag of Uganda through the streets of Nairobi as we pray through another market place and make our way to the closing ceremony.  Tomorrow I will preach in a city church and on Monday I will begin heading home.  The Lord is Good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment