Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Time with Children

Easter Sunday, my neighbours invited me to share a feast with them.  The kids had fun playing with their relatives, while the adults sat around and talked, ate, danced, and listened to music.
 Christ is Risen!  He is risen indeed!! 
 Ok, so these aren't kids, but I'm sticking them in my update anyways.... Oil of Gladness is going through some changes and we could really use your prayers.  Some members are taking a leave of absence, others are praying the ministry continues.  We need new leaders, more energy, and better commitment.  Last Friday we had a huge meeting with 14 in attendance.  The Lord is going to move in this ministry I'm sure!!
 On Sunday I drove with my neighbours all the way to Malaba because we were missing Victor so much and we wanted to see him on his once a term visitation day.  I think he is doing well in boarding school... although I could never imagine being without my kids at home during primary years, or even secondary.  But if you want a good school here, sometimes that's the necessary thing to do... so a child has a chance at a good future school.
 Victor was overwhelmed by the visitors.  Tears were streaming down his face when we pulled into the compound.
 Here is Victor on his bed in his dormitory.  Every child has a metal trunk - filled with toiletries, books, snacks, photos, clothes, and other personal items.
 I was impressed by the neatness of the boys dorm.
 Victor really missed Opio and Ocen.
 Here are all the sweet boys!!  Including their cousin Arthur.

For the past few weeks I have been teaching every day in a local primary school.  The P4 class is very attentive - great listening, answering questions, participating with excitement.  But the P3 class is a little more challenging.  For one, they share a classroom with an older level of students.  The only thing that separates them is a super thin barrier of plywood.  The older kids peek through the shaky wall to see the activities we are participating in and both of us teachers are trying to speak over each other.  The other day was the hardest on me because the teacher next door proceeded to cane each pupil in his class.  My class sat in sheer silence as we heard the 3 wallops given to each child.  I could not imagine being educated, but it's the norm here.  All teachers walk around with a small branch, to use on children - for standing, talking, sharpening their pencil at the wrong time, resting, or sometimes I don't even know why.  My heart breaks.
 But the children are having fun learning the "17 Stories" of God's love for them!
 Ok... so my camera is not the best.  I wish I could invest in a decent piece of equipment... but I wanted to share one of my classes with you.
 I have noticed that when you give the children a blank piece of paper, and tell them to draw anything about the story, 75% of them want to copy something.  Creativity is lacking.  They have no idea how to begin, and having crayons is a sweet surprise for them.  They are good at copying, but I wish they could just imagine the burning bush, or the Red Sea, or the 10 plagues and draw them individually.
Here they are... quietly at work.
After teaching I went to the post office.  As I was locking up my box, one of the postal workers pulled up on a motorcycle.  "Hey Lubbers, did you get any mail today?"
"No, I did not."
"Oh, well that's because we haven't sorted today.  A lot of letters arrived, but we will sort them tomorrow.  I'm sure you will have a piece or two." 
Even though I highly doubt that I have a real letter, I am grateful for the hope that the postal worker has given to me for just another day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment