Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Saturday, December 3, 2016

Ins and Outs of Life

Right now I would love to relax on a cushy couch and watch a good chick flick, while popping on a few peanut butter M&M's, but I don't have a cushy couch or the M&M's.  The past few weeks have been emotional for me, yet deep and clarifying.  
I am so glad that I was able to live with the Tiesenga kids from Nov. 3-18.  I feel like I really bonded with them and I'm thankful that I could be an Auntie who could help out hardheartedly.
 The kids learned that I love writing cards and am always excited to send out my Christmas mailing.
 But they also learned it was a lot of work!!
 I held back many tears as I watched the family reunite after Steve battled with lung complications as a result of malaria.  We were all grateful that Steve and Tanya came back safely from Nairobi.
From there I drove to Entebbe to meet with CRWM staff and to take a day to go swimming.  I am glad I went - for fellowship, partnership, and some relaxation.  I think I needed it because sometimes I just need a weekend off.  I rarely take time off or a day away, because I love my life in Soroti!!
 American Thanksgiving was a joyful celebration.  I am glad that other partners in town allowed this Canadian girl to crash their party.  It was full of fun, food, games, socialization, and more.
 Everyone saves a few hidden treasures from the West for a delicious feast.
 And like most Thanksgivings, I am sure I over-ate on the goodness!!
This past week has been another one of those weeks where I pray, reflect, and receive counsel from others to confirm my role in Soroti.  But through all of that, and a wonderful visit from a lovely British couple, I still know that Soroti is where I am to serve God for now.  Phone calls were coming in - that I was asked to preach on Sunday, and share at God's Big Story at a Kindergarten graduation.  Ladies Discipleship Bible studies still take place.  Oil of Gladness is gearing up for a Christmas concert.  The piggery needs feed.  And youth conferences are booking up for December.  As well as plans for the Poor Man's Christmas.
 But today I was overwhelmed.  I went to the Cathedral to be with my brother and ministry partner, Rev. Beseri, as the funeral service for his father took place.  I had gotten to know his father over the past few years, and even I have tears.  He was a great man, but he has left behind an incredible legacy.  Especially when I see how much Rev. Beseri gives his heart to the Lord and to the ministry.
I also found out today that Al Voth from the Global Outreach Mission headquarters passed away.  He was our VP, accountant, friend, and advisor... and so my heart also bleeds for the office that supports me so much.  His wife Sue works in the Canadian GOM office.
While riding out to speak at the Kindergarten graduation, I was informed that I was not helping out with one youth program this year for a silly reason... and I don't know how to swallow it.  Last year I helped to train a few teachers in Religious Education curriculum and run a short youth program.  A short term team from the US had come... and they were surprised to see me there, working with the youth. Well, it was requested that I not come this year because it looks bad for publicity if I am there when the short term team comes.  They wanted the training to be their program and didn't think it was right that a person was here, working on the ground with these teachers.  Yikes - short term jealousy.  And that is just so different from the awesome visit I had with this British couple.  They come every year just to encourage those of us who are here, on the ground.  They came over for tea, listened to my stories and heart, offered guidance and advice, encouraged me in my work, and prayed over me.  I wish there were more short-term missionaries like them.  
Today I am home, trying to pray, research, and write a sermon for the youth service tomorrow morning.  I am so glad that the Lord continues to use me in a variety of ways here in Soroti.  And since I gave my car to Rev. Beseri for two days, for burial movement, then I shall not stray from my task.  (Oh wait - that's how I found time to write a blog post today.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment